sweet smelling, colourless liquid/gas. It evaporates
quickly and dissolves in water, is highly flammable,
and is widely used by industry. The EPA set the max
permissible benzene level in drinking water at 0.005
Breathing high levels can result in death; lower levels can cause drowsiness, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headaches, tremors, confusion, and unconsciousness. Eating or drinking foods containing benzene can cause vomiting, stomach irritation, dizziness, sleepiness, convulsions, rapid heart rate, and death; long-term low level exposure affects bone marrow. The Dept of Health and Human Services classifies Benzene as a known carcinogen, specifically causing anemia and leukemia. Any toxic chemical is a danger factor in tightly constructed new homes.
A major source of benzene exposure is tobacco smoke.
Outdoor air contains low levels of benzene from tobacco smoke, automobile service stations, exhaust from motor vehicles, and industrial emissions. Indoor air contains higher levels of benzene from products such as glues, paints, furniture wax, and detergent. Air around hazardous waste sites, gas stations or close proximity to factory emissions will contain higher levels.
Our state of the art detection devices detect contamination to 0.003 ppm (or ppb.)
Bye Bye Mold is part of Toxic Consulting. We can also test for Benzene on request.
Click here to request a formaldehyde consultation.